About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

D is for Ducks! Flying Ducks

There was a funny little facsista from the North of Italy (where else!) who used to knock-about on the small scale forums, who once - while losing yet another point/argument with the more sensible members of the forum - suggested I was A) less than heterosexual and B) blogged toy ducks for a hobby! Well at the time he was wrong on both counts, and while I do re-post the odd bit of pro-gay stuff on 'the' Facebook (tolerance - it's just common sense isn't it?) he is still wrong about the first point.

On the second point however he's been right for a while, I seem to remember a duck sneaking in to a post some time ago...well, you might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb...

Three of 'em! These are painted metal 'Flying Ducks' from Barratt and Sons (or; the Barretts of Sonderburg Road N7, to be accurate), designed for dolls houses in about 1:12 scale, or the 6-inch figure size, that's it really ducks, flying...or 'Ducks in Flight' to be accurate!

But to people from a certain age (or area?) they will always be Flying Ducks, my grandparents up on the North Notts/Yorks boarder had a set scooting across the living-room wall, along with the matching marshland wallpaper (with mallards) in the bathroom and a clothes brush disguised as an Indian Runner. Note the similarity to the Britains 'B'.

They've gone; the ducks and the grandparents, but this little set reminded me of them, unfortunately it also reminded me of 'folgor', but that's life...sweet and sour!

2 comments:

timbo46 said...

Hi
Loving your posts - I thought you might be interested a bit of history regarding the Britain's "B" symbol. Yes, it is similar - so similar in fact that Britains stopped Barrett and Sons from using their own 'soldier-in-aB' symbol. However, I believe (though can't prove) Barrett and Sons came up with the symbol first.
How do I know this? A. Barrett (Alfred) was my grandfather; my father, B.S. Barrett (Bert) designed the 'soldier-in-a-B' for A. Barrett and Sons. My dad told me he came up with the design and used it for several years before Britains trademarked their similar design and forced Barretts to stop using theirs - Dad said he couldn't afford a legal battle with Britains...
Incidentally, though ubiquitous amongst that generation, the Barrett 'Ducks in Flight' were actually modelled on my grandparents' set. My brother now has the originals...

Hugh Walter said...

Wow Timbo' thanks for that! I don't have much Barrat on the Blog although I've wells and hay-ricks in the long-queue, and will one day do pages on the A-Z.

If you have 'lost' information on the firm both after or during the T&B years, I would love to hear more, and Mr Morehead at Plastic Warrior magazine would almost certainly love to interview you? Could you eMail me?

mavaerickatlarge@hotmail.com

Cheers
H

PS I don't know what happened to my grandparen't set, but they were really quite well done, machined-wood I think, Mallard paint (like the Barratt's) and a deep gloss varnish!