About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

M is for Matador

Further to yesterday's rambling memory and walk in the woods; There was an article in Military Modelling or Airfix Magazine (or one of the annuals? 1983 - see article above) back in the day, showing one what could be done with the Airfix Matador kit to A) enhance it and B) convert it into various post-war civil cranes or circus wagons, this is my attempt, apologies for the over-bright flash on these...

A canvas cover over the sentries hole made from a scrap of cardboard, lightly sanded to give a texture, ladders applied below each door on the crew compartment from Plastruct railings [the Airfix kit is - obviously - configured as an artillery tractor not a GS - where you would egress from the rear only] and a space-plate on the cab, the purpose of which remained a mystery to me!

Also I gave it a trailer from the Airfix Half-track, and used the larger wheels of the half-track itself to raise the trailer a bit. We still had these trailers in Berlin and I have photo's of them somewhere, I will scan them one day, we did have the angular wheel-arched post-war ones as well, both single (for Land Rovers) and double-water carriers and GS's, but several of these old 1940/50's types were kicking around the motor-pool.

The finished article in 'Micky Mouse-eared' camouflage, I think I should have extended the darker colour over the whole of the roof, but in the field things get repainted any old how!

No comments: