About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, March 1, 2010

M is for Mysteries; Slight Mysteries?

I've covered these before, but a couple of things I noticed while preparing the photographs for the Banner and Pyro posts below are worth a mention...

The first thing I noticed is that there are two mouldings of the saloon car, the green one is noticeably longer and has a few detail differences, smaller hole in the towing-hitch, chunkier bumpers (fenders) and some variations in window size.

The second query is really anal; The two saloon-car number plates BV4672, top left and right, with the coupe bottom left - DP 7189. Now Kent Sprecher over at toysoldierhq has the saloon being DV not BV, is this a typo or are there two different number plates for this car?

Could BV be 'Banner Vehicle' with the DV being a Pyro copy? And could the larger, slightly cruder civilian version be a Kleeware or Tudor Rose re-tool?

The mould-number (?) in the roof of the cars, it doesn't look it, but the 4 is a very crude hand-scratched thing, it seems to have been straitened by my attempts in Picasa to make it visible! The 6 is about half the size and is a standard engineers mould-punch, done correctly - back to front - so that it reads the right way on the product, something the Hong Kong producers often forgot to do, using instead product-punches, leaving the HONG KONG upside down and back to front, they were helped by the fact that only the 'N's and 'G's were noticeable, and then only to a close observer.

Interesting also how the thermo-printed star shows through the roof as a faint...er...star!

No comments: