About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

G is for Greek

As the knowledge of Toy Soldier collectors spreads and the Internet makes the world smaller, more and more companies are added to the list. Moreover, countries that weren't known for toy soldiers turn up all sorts of little gems.

Greece is one of those countries, Pal which became Ahona (Athena), Joytoy (Vidalis Brothers) and Solpa are three companies that spring to mind, and this little set is - to me - one of those gems.

The box art for 'Monsters' (I suspect the Greek says something like 'Space Monsters'), this is from the '54mm' range, they also produced a 20/25mm range. I use inverted comas as these are not quite 54mm, neither are many in the range! But this is a large scale box, being coded 22 (most of the large scale sets seem to be coded 22?!) and of a size somewhere between the Airfix 54mm 29 figure boxes and the Airfix H0/00 Long Box.

The 'Monsters', actually Robots from - I think - The Manzinger-Z set of Japanese Animé Characters. The white one on the right is exactly 54mm, the rest are smaller by a millimetre or two, however, being baseless, they all look smaller against true 54mm figures with bases. 25 machines to a box, softish ethylene, I hope this is all the poses, but don't know for sure and the colour variation in this one set suggests other colours to be found.

Very similar to Hong Kong copies of these robots, they state they are Greek Made? Anybody know what the various Robots are called?

No comments: