About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

G is for Gone With The Wind

The third and - I think - final set in this series of 5 figure sets by Cameo Guild for Dave Grossman was titled "Atlanta Scene III", size is now varying between 30mm for the slave to 40mm for the male lead, so I guess they were made to accurately reflect the original characters height and have changed all three post's labels to reflect this.

Left-to-right again; Rhett, Scarlett, Belle Watling (looking far more scarlet than Scarlett!), Prissy ('aren't our little black slave characters soooh adorable' - someone might have said at the time?!) and Aunt Pittypat...isn't she a ferret out of a Peter Rabbit book!!!?

Note how Rhett's moustache has grown and Scarlett is becoming more brunette!

The packaging for one figure, you could get 60+ in the box. Note also how the smart registration card of the first set is now a roughly cut-out piece of photocopying, the two-colour stick-on lid-label has become one-colour and the box has dispensed with fancy position-reliant graphics and been replaced with a repeat logotype that can be punched out with less accuracy (more cheaply!). This is a series running out of steam two years (1994) after it's launch. Not enough subscribers...? If there was a subsequent set, someone might let us know?

Despite all the little digs I've made in the last 3 posts, I like these figures and I'm happy to have them, however I hate what they represent...overpriced, cheap technology, cheap material buy-to-collect 'collectables'. When the people of the world realise I should have been running the planet all along and vote for me to do so! I will, as a priority, bulldoze the mighty works of Franklin, Danbury, John Hine, Cameo, Bradford Exchange and a hundred others, look upon them...and rejoice! (Apologies to Shelly!)

No comments: